The Art of Experimentation

(A still from a frame by frame animation that I worked on during the pandemic) 


Before choosing to commit to doing something, especially when it comes to skill based activities, I think it is extremely important to first experiment at least 10 different things. Why? Because only then are you allowing yourself the opportunity to find out which activities truly bring you joy and which ones exhaust you. Sometimes the consequence of not choosing to widen your horizon will box you into one particular activity that you might not even enjoy but only do it for the sake of it. Let me give you a personal example. 

During the pandemic, at the height of boredom, I chose to try a lot of things. 3D sculpting and rendering was one, coding was another, UI/UX design was another one, and some serious language learning. These were my favourites amongst other things. Even though I was terrible at some of them, it was extremely fun to know what I didn’t like to do and what I did. And when that groundwork was done right, it was easier to sharpen the skills that brought me joy. Digital art and graphic design are two such examples. 

The point that I’d like to bring forth is to draw your attention to the fact that is much learning and joy in just experimenting. So go out there and try new things and then collect memories from it. It’s truly better than simply living life through mundane activities without any growth.

(PS: I posted a short blog and an artwork on charlotte_pourquoi on Instagram in case you're interested, here's the link to it Charlotte Pourquoi)  

Comments

Popular Posts