Rip the big giant


(This sketch is from my early days of character creation for Charlotte Pourquoi, the main character in my novel. I used to be so afraid of not getting her to look like what I envisioned of her in my mind that I put off attempting to draw her for almost three years. But once I started to experiment, it became less intimidating to make her my own)

You know that feeling when you want to take a step toward doing something but the entirety of the activity overwhelms you a little too much? That is exactly how I feel about writing my novel everyday. The feeling gets so distressing sometimes that I don’t even have the courage to do it some days. But that’s the deal. You define on how much you can get done. So when you start placing yourself at a point where you look at something as this big giant, it automatically becomes that and you are unable to get anything done. 

By God’s grace, one thing that I have learnt is to take that giant and quite literally rip it into pieces in order for the steps taken to be more manageable and attainable. Will the giant still continue to be large? Perhaps so, but then since it’s rearranged in your mind, it becomes less scary to work with. This fundamental is something that is genuinely valuable in any area of our lives and does not need to be constrained to just career related work. Such is the power of breaking down of tasks and getting things done (saves a whole lot of worry and procrastination to be honest). 

Comments

Popular Posts